· The S&P 500 Index dropped 3.5% yesterday, falling below the 100-day moving average in the process and closing at 3,271.
· COVID-19 cases are rising in the U.S. and abroad. Illinois suspended indoor dining and bar services and France and Germany are enacting four-week lockdowns. There is a four-month stalemate on stimulus negotiations and no timeline for when U.S. residents will receive a second stimulus package.
· The S&P 500 Index 10-day realized volatility rose from 13 to 21 and 30-day realized volatility rose from 18 to 21.
· Yesterday, the VIX Index closed above 40 for the first time since June 11. The market is experiencing a slight rebound today with the S&P 500 Index floating around 3,300 and the VIX Index reading 37.64.
· Today’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) report shows that the U.S. economy grew 7.4% in Q3. Initial jobless claims for last week fell to 751,000. Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Twitter report earnings tonight.
To learn more visit Cboe’s website.